Thursday, June 4, 2009

Resolution progress

Rarely do I make a New Year’s resolution. No particular reason other than I don’t really see the point. This year, however, I decided to change that. I decided to try and read at least 12 books or an average of 1 a month. The halfway point of the year is rapidly approaching and I just realized that I’m already on book #12! Here’s what I’ve read so far this year:

Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief, by James M. McPherson

Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God: The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for His Highest, by David McCasland

Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a Legendary Submarine and Her Courageous Crew, by Alex Kershaw

I Am America (And So Can You!), by Stephen Colbert

Last Flag Down: The Epic Journey of the Last Confederate Warship, by John Baldwin & Ron Powers

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, by Donald S. Whitney

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World, by Tony Horwitz

This is Your Brain on Joy, by Dr. Earl Henslin (review still in process for Thomas Nelson)

Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches from the Unfinished Civil War, by Tony Horwitz

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War, by Nathaniel Philbrick

Truman, by David McCullough.

Since I’m already on #12, I thought why not go for 24 books in a year. Here’s a list of books that I’m wanting to read.

His Excellency: George Washington, by Joseph J. Ellis

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Finding an Unseen God: Reflections of a Former Atheist, by Alicia Britt Chole (reviewing for Bethany House)

Family Driven Faith: Doing What it Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk With God, by Voddie T. Baucham, Jr.

Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places, by Eugene Peterson

The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways that Jesus is the Way, by Eugene Peterson

God’s Passion for His Glory, by John Piper and Jonathan Edwards

The Cross of Christ, by John Stott

Outrageous Mercy: Rediscover the Radical Nature of Christianity, by William P. Farley

Tortured for Christ, by Richard Wurmbrand

Almost a Miracle: The American Victory in the War of Independence, by John Ferling

The Summer of 1787: The Men Who Invented the Constitution, by David O. Stewart

Some of these I'm hoping to review, so stay tuned. Here's to a bookwormish remainder of the year!

3 comments:

David said...

I really need to get a copy of "I Am America and So Can You!" -- the part I read standing in Sam's Club was hilarious.

Where's the fiction on this list? My wife caught me reading my 15th book on one particular non-fiction topic and asked, "Do you remember when you used to read fiction?" ... and I couldn't. (and no, "historical fiction" doesn't count!)

If you need something substantial in fiction, I'll loan you "Earth Abides" -- post-apocalyptic devastation, social commentary, anthropology/zoology/botany all in a realistic context. And a good read, too!

Anonymous said...

Well, Son, you have certainly come a long way since your mother taught you to read your very first book - "Go Dog. Go!" You do me proud!

I am reminded that Charles Spurgeon once said, "He who never reads, will never be read." So keep reading.

But then, I am also reminded what the Wise Preacher said, "And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end: and much study is a weariness of the flesh" (Ecclesiastes 12:12).

My advice? Do as I did - get yourself a pair of bi-focals!

Love,
Pops

Stephen said...

@David - Fiction? What's that? :) I do enjoy a fiction book every now and then. Clive Cussler or John Grisham are good escapes. I also enjoy a little Dickens every now and then.

@Pops - I'm very thankful for the love of books that you and Mom instilled in me (with one exception - MOVING TIME!) Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I can see the bifocals coming down the road heading straight toward me!